Veterinary Assistant Career
Those who work in the veterinary arena are often driven by a passion for helping animals—if you were the kid who lovingly nursed injured animals in your neighborhood back to health or had a house full of pets growing up, why not reignite your passion for animals as an adult in our veterinary assistant program?
If you’ve always wanted to work with animals, the veterinary assistant program at Westech can help make that dream a reality. Veterinary assistants play an important role in animal hospitals and other settings, supporting veterinarians by providing essential care for animals.
The job outlook for veterinary assistants is excellent. Employment for these skilled workers is expected to grow 9% between 2014 and 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Places of Employment
After completing a veterinary assistant program, vet assistants may find work at an animal hospital or clinic, a laboratory (for those who work as laboratory animal caretakers), on a farm, or other animal care setting.
The duties and responsibilities of a veterinary assistant may include:
- Preparing and inserting IV catheters
- Cleaning and disinfecting cages, kennels, and exam and operation rooms
- Restraining animals during examination and laboratory procedures
- Maintaining and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment
- Monitoring and caring for animals after surgery
- Helping provide emergency first aid to sick and injured animals
- Giving medication or immunizations that veterinarians prescribe
- Assisting in the collection of blood, urine, tissue samples, and fecal samples
- Preparing and applying bandages and splints
- Feeding, bathing, and exercising animals
- Handling of various veterinary assistant equipment
Skills You’ll Learn in Our Veterinary Assistant Program
The veterinary assistant program at Westech will prepare you for a promising career in just a matter of months. Our veterinary assistant program will lay the foundation of how to be a veterinarian assistant in a clinical or laboratory setting. You will learn about properly caring for animals in animal hospitals, clinics, and laboratories, and how to administer medication, manage cages, provide nursing care before and after surgery, and other medical procedures.
How to Start Your Career
- Call us at (909) 980-4474 to speak with our Admissions Department.
- Visit our Schedule a Tour page and request information.
- Complete the form on this page to get answers to your questions.
- Find us on Facebook.
There is no cost or obligation with any of the options you choose.
Career programs available to you at Westech College include:
- Computer Systems Technician
- Design Drafting Technology
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Assistant
- Professional Fitness Trainer
- Veterinary Assistant Program