Prepare for your new career as a Veterinary Assistant in months at Westech College. As a student, you will learn how to help veterinary practices to care for animals in laboratories, animal hospitals, and clinics. You will also understand how to administer medication, manage cages, and provide nursing care before and after surgery and other medical procedures.
The duties and responsibilities of a Veterinary Assistant may include:
- Preparing and insertion of I.V. catheters
- Cleaning and disinfecting cages, kennels, and exam and operation rooms
- Restraining animals during examination and laboratory procedures
- Maintaining and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment
- Monitoring and caring for animals after surgery
- Helping provide emergency first aid to sick and injured animals
- Giving medication or immunizations that veterinarians prescribe
- Assisting in the collection of blood, urine, tissue samples, and fecal samples.
- Preparing and applying bandages and splints
- Feeding, bathing, and exercising animals
How to start your career
- Call us at (866) 684-1717 to speak with an Adviser.
- Visit our Get Started page and request information.
- Complete the form on this page to get answers to your questions.
- Find us on Facebook
There is no cost or obligation with any of the options you choose.
Career programs available to you at Westech College include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Assisting
- Veterinary Assistant
- Professional Fitness Trainer
|Course ID||Course Name||Instructor||Room Number||Time|
|VAFEM||First-Aid, Emergency Management & Surgical Procedures||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAHRA||Handling And Restraining Animal||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAIND||Infectious And Non-Infectious Disease||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VALP||Laboratory Procedures||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAMS||Microsoft Office 2007||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAPEP||Pharmacology And Examination Procedures||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAPM||Practice Management And Client Relations||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VAPMDC||Principles And Methods Of Disease Control||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|
|VARRI||Records And Regulatory Issues||Varies||Varies||100 Hours|