Drafting and Design Technology Career
If you prefer doing things in a methodical way, have an eye for design, and enjoy using cutting-edge technology, a career in Drafting and Design Technology may be right for you. Drafters play an important supportive role for engineers and architects, designing and adding details to plans using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
Places of Employment
Drafters work in a variety of industries and settings, from architecture to engineering to manufacturing and construction. Drafters spend a good deal of their time working at a computer butmay also visit jobsites to collaborate with engineers and architects.
The duties and responsibilities of a drafting and design technologist may include:
- Assisting architects, engineers, and construction project managers
- Creating detailed drawings of plans, making sure all drawing specs are met, including detection of design flaws, often working from rough sketches
- Converting rough sketches and specifications
- Usingcomputer-aideddesign (CAD) software to design plans
- Adding details to plans using knowledge of building/engineering techniques
- Specifying dimensions, materials, and building and design procedures for products
- Using advanced technologies such as AutoCAD, Revit Architectural, Structural, Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) and NavisWorks to accomplish design drafting tasks
- Utilize additional drafting and design tools and programs
Companies/industries that frequently employ drafting and design technology graduates include: architectural and engineering firms, construction companies, environmental engineering organizations, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and rail projects, government entities (city, county, state, and federal), structural engineering, city planning, land developers, and more.
Skills You’ll Learn in Our Design Drafting Technology Program
Westech will help you prepare for a new career as a drafting and design technologist in less than eight months. In our program you will learn how to draft and design architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing projects using AutoCAD and Revit software. You will also learn how to work on construction and building projects, detecting project flaws using NavisWorks, and project scheduling.
As a student you will also learn basic and advanced 3D drawings using AutoCAD, basic mathematics, construction and building technology (green and sustainable building), architectural, structural, and mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) using Revit, building information modeling (BIM) management, detection of design flaws using NavisWorks. Westech’s methods for this program include lectures, assignments, laboratory work, and hands-on projects. All graduates will construct a design portfolio.
How to Start Your Career
- Call us at (909) 980-4474 to speak with our Admissions Department.
- Visit our Schedule a Tour page and request information.
- Complete the form on this page to get answers to your questions.
- Find us on Facebook.
There is no cost or obligation with any of the options you choose.
Design Drafting Technology History at Westech College
Westech College was founded in 1988 as a CADD training school in Pomona, California. Since its establishment, Westech College has graduated hundreds of CADD students, who are now working as CAD designer technicians. Since 1992, Westech College has been a prime CADD training school for the state of California, training thousands of employees from architectural, engineering, construction, and manufacturing companies in the use of AutoCAD, Revit Structural, Revit Architectural, Revit Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP), SolidWorks, Civil 3D, NavisWorks, MicroStation, and Geographical Information Systems (GIS). We are proud to have established an excellent reputation with employers in California and beyond.
Career programs available to you at Westech College include:
- Computer Systems Technician
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Assistant
- Professional Fitness Trainer
- Veterinary Assistant
- Design Drafting Technologist