Computer Systems Technician Career
Prepare for your new career as a Computer Systems Technician in as little as 7 months at Westech College. As a student of our Computer Systems Technician program you will learn how to install, configure, and manage Windows Servers and Cisco switches and routers. Our computer technician school will help you gain skills for managing and securing networks, installing hardware and software programs, troubleshooting computer-related issues, and supporting a wide range of user environments.
The outlook for computer and information technology occupations is promising. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), careers in computer and information technology are projected to grow by 12% from 2014 to 2024—much faster than job growth across all occupations. As the “internet of things” continues to grow and as computing plays an increasingly integral part of our lives, there is no time like the present to begin a career in computer systems.
Places of Employment
The ubiquity of computers and other internet-connected devices means that computer systems technicians can work virtually anywhere, in any environment. Government agencies, businesses of every size, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, manufacturing facilities, e-commerce enterprises—to name just a few types of organizations—all use computer systems and networks. These systems will always require ongoing maintenance, upgrades, and repairs by computer technicians, helping the job outlook for computer and IT professionals.
The duties of a computer systems technician will likely vary from day to day, but may include:
- Installing, configuring, and managing servers
- Managing switches and routes
- Managing and securing networks
- Installing and upgrading hardware and software
- Troubleshooting a wide variety of computer-related issues
- Supporting a broad range of user environments
Skills You’ll Learn in Our Computer Technician Program
You will learn all of the following at our computer technician school:
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing hardware with expertise to troubleshoot, analyze, and resolve a wide range of information technology issues using various tools
- Operational setup of an overall LAN/WAN and wireless network system environment including the connectivity of multiple protocols and access methods
- Configuring system software environments including operating system setup, installing and upgrading client devices, managing files, folders, applications, and software programs
- Database administration including creating database objects, queries, and reporting tools
- Implementing Active Directory Domain Services, access and authentication control, and virtualization with Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012
- Managing the deployment, monitoring, and maintenance of Windows Server 2012 infrastructure including identity management, rights management, federated services, network load balancing, and failover clustering
- Maintaining a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure including configuring and troubleshooting name resolution, user, and group management
- Configuring, reconfiguring, and managing computer systems and associated networks
- Offering technical support on-site or via phone or email
Installing, operating, and verifying a basic IPv4 and IPv6 network, including configuring a LAN switch and an IP router, connecting to a WAN, and identifying basic security threats
Our computer systems technician program will prepare you to test for the following certifications (testing is not provided or paid for by Westech College):
- Entry-level CCENT certification
- Cisco associate-level certification
- Exam preparation for CompTIA’s A+ hardware/software certification validation of a Computer Systems Support Technician and expertise for certifications to meet DoD Directive 8570.1 requirements based on passing two exams:
- CompTIA A+ Essentials Exam 220-801
- Practical Application Exam 220-802
How to Start Your Career
- Call us at (909) 980-4474 to speak with our Admissions Department.
- Visit our Schedule a Tour page and request information.
- Complete the form on this page to get answers to your questions.
- Find us on Facebook.
There is no cost or obligation with any of the options you choose.
Westech College holds accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
Career programs available to you at Westech College include:
- Computer Systems Technician
- Design Drafting Technology
- Medical Office Administration
- Medical Assistant
- Professional Fitness Trainer
- Veterinary Assistant